We have worked tirelessly with paramedics from our community and our Emergency Department to streamline and improve the care we provide. These efforts include educational opportunities as well as providing equipment and technology that allow the ambulance crews to transmit an EKG to the ER and to the on-call cardiologist from a patient’s home. This has resulted in improved patient care, outcomes and statistics that shatter the national averages.
Heart Attack Causes.
A heart attack may be caused by:
- Thickening of the walls of the arteries feeding the heart muscle (coronary arteries)
- Accumulation of fatty plaques in the coronary arteries
- Narrowing of the coronary arteries
- Spasm of the coronary arteries
- Development of a blood clot in the coronary arteries
- Embolism that affects the coronary arteries
Heart Attack Symptoms.
Symptoms of a heart attack include:
- Squeezing sensation and/or heavy chest pain, especially with exercise or exertion, emotional stress, cold weather or a large meal
- Pain in the left shoulder, left arm, or jaw
- Shortness of breath
- Sweating, clammy skin
- Loss of consciousness
- Anxiety, especially feeling a sense of doom or panic without apparent reason
Unusual symptoms of heart attack (may occur more frequently in women):
- Stomach pain
- Back and shoulder pain
If you think you are having a heart attack, call 911 right away.