Acting fast in the face of a stroke is imperative, and at our nationally recognized Stroke Center we have a strong record of providing quality care to patients during this health crisis.
Stroke symptoms occur suddenly, all at once or just a few at a time. Time is precious because brain tissue dies quickly when deprived of oxygen, so if you notice any of the symptoms below, call emergency help right away.
- Sudden weakness or numbness of face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion
- Sudden trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden dizziness, trouble walking, loss of balance, or coordination
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause
Having a stroke is an emergency. Tests at MetroWest Medical Center may include:
- Blood tests, including cholesterol, homocysteine, prothrombin time, and other coagulation tests
Many strokes are caused by blood clots that prevent blood from reaching the brain. After careful physicial examination by our expert neurologists and review of a CT scan, you may be treated with Fibrinolysis therapy. This is an IV medication that works to dissolve the clot and restore normal blood flow to the brain