Aquatic Rehabilitation Therapy
Aquatic Rehabilitation at MetroWest Medical Center, Wellness Center
location, offers two therapeutic pools with temperatures from 88 to 92 degrees. The therapeutic pools feature shallow and deep-water areas to accommodate individual aquatic needs. Integrating aquatic therapy with traditional physical therapy ('land" treatment) offers a unique environment that can encourage earlier return to activities of daily living and improved quality of life.
To schedule an appointment for aquatic therapy at our Wellness Center site, please call 508-271-2088. The Benefits of Aquatic Therapy:
Aquatic Programs Offered Include:
- Buoyancy—Helps to promote muscle relaxation and improve flexibility.
- Traction—When submerged in water, there is a natural traction upon the body that helps to reduce pain and increase flexibility.
- Three-Dimensional Resistance—Unlike land-based exercises, water provides resistance in all directions, which helps to train the body in a more holistic approach to therapy.
- Therapeutic Warmth—The pools are maintained at 88 degrees and 92 degrees, which is considered therapeutic temperature. This helps to improve blood flow to the muscles, and promotes muscular relaxation and flexibility.
- Viscosity—The viscosity or thickness of water is 10-15 times more resistant than air, which helps to encourage muscle strengthening.
- Hydrostatic Pressure—The pressure of the water helps to reduce lower limb swelling as well as provides compression on the body that assists with core stabilization.
- Ai Chi—Performed using elements of deep breathing and slow, broad movements of the arms, legs and torso. Ai Chi promotes relaxation, increases flexibility, and enhances balance.
- Aquatic Balance - This class is designed to focus on increasing core strength, flexibility, and balance.
- Bariatric Aerobics Class - Designed to focus on flexibility, trunk stabilization, posture, strength, and endurance for a healthier, more fit lifestyle.
- Deep Water Arthritis—Designed to decrease pain, increase flexibility, improve strength and endurance, and encourage functional independence. This program starts with gentle stretching techniques and progresses to more demanding challenges.
- Post Rehab Aquatics—Independent program for those who wish to continue aquatic therapy on their own. Designed to maintain flexibility, strength, endurance, and functional independence.
To register for an Aquatics Class call 508-271-2004.