In orthopedics, patients often receive care from a team of health care professionals. MetroWests’s orthopedic programs may include the following professionals: orthopedic surgeons, physiatrists (physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians), nurses, physical therapists, and occupational therapists. Many of the specialists at MetroWest have advanced training in specialized areas of orthopedics such as sports injuries, joint replacement, and hand care.
Services Available at MetroWest Medical Center include:
- Hip and Knee Replacements - Our orthopedic surgeons have extensive experience total joint replacements. These services are available at both Leonard Morse Hospital and Framingham Union Hospital. When appropriate, several of our physicians offer minimally-invasive joint replacements that reduce pain, blood loss and recovery time.
- Sports Medicine – MetroWest has physicians with advanced training and experience in the treatment of sports injuries. They use advanced, minimally-invasive techniques to treat sports injuries affecting the knee, shoulder, and other parts of the body.
In addition, MetroWest has an extensive rehabilitation program to help athletes regain strength and a normal level of functioning following a sports injury. Services include:
Upper Extremity/Hand Care
- therapeutic pool for rehabilitation
- bracing and supportive devices
- cardiovascular conditioning
- isokinetic strengthening
- joint mobilization
- massage therapy
- therapeutic exercise
- total body strengthening
- MetroWest has two fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons specializing in the treatment of orthopedic problems in the hand and upper extremities. Treatment is available for tingling sensations, numbness, pain, and other problems that affect the use of the hand and wrist. Physiatry
—Physiatry is a medical specialty focusing on physical medicine and rehabilitation. Physiatrists treat acute and chronic pain and musculoskeletal disorders non-surgically--especially in cases when surgery may not be necessary or even possible. MetroWest has physiatrists with expertise treating sports injuries, back pain, and other conditions that affect physical function and mobility. Rehabilitation
- At both hospitals and our Wellness Center, we have a broad array of rehabilitation programs with certified physical and occupational therapists. School-based Athletic Training
--Certified athletic trainers from MetroWest work full-time with students in several local communities, providing services during athletic competitions and for youth sports programs. Our trainers also sponsor a free weekly injury clinic at Leonard Morse Hospital for athletes and non-athletes with sports injury-related concerns.
For more information or a physician referral, please call 1 (800) 400-3627.