How You Can Help
Caring for Your Loved One
Ways to provide both compassionate and practical support include:
- Work with a loved one to create a checklist for what he or she will need at the hospital. Offer to pack the items.
- If you’re driving the patient to the hospital, plan your route beforehand.
- Decorate the hospital room with small personal items from home, such as children’s drawings and photos.
- Together, prepare a list of approved visitors.
- Make a checklist of things that need to be done after discharge from the hospital:
- Fill any post-surgery prescriptions.
- Keep track of medications and when to take them.
- Stock the house with healthy foods and beverages.
- Decide who will manage tasks such as laundry, meals and house cleaning once the patient is ready to leave the hospital.
Check out the MetroWest Medical Center Patient and Visitor Guide, which includes all the information you need to help plan your stay with us.