Knowing what to expect from your surgery or procedure can help make the experience less intimidating. At MetroWest Medical Center, our surgeons bring extensive experience and in-depth expertise to your care. Whether your surgery is simple or complex, inpatient or outpatient, you’re in good hands at MetroWest Medical Center.
Our board-certified surgeons use state-of-the-art technology and practice minimally invasive techniques when appropriate to ensure excellent outcomes and quick recovery time. Our surgeons collaborate with specialists from other areas, including advanced imaging, oncology, and other specialties, to provide you with seamless, multidisciplinary care.
We offer a wide range of surgical procedures at our hospitals in Framingham and Natick including complex abdominal hernia, inguinal hernia, gastrointestinal, breast, thyroid, and parathyroid procedures.
In addition to these general surgery procedures, you can find a range of surgical services in specialties including:
- Bariatric surgery, providing weight-loss surgery such as LAP-BAND, gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy.
- Ear-nose-throat (ENT) surgery, including functional endoscopic sinus surgery, laryngotomy, rhinoplasty and sinuscopy.
- Gynecologic surgery, including open and laparoscopic hysteroscopy, laparoscopic tubal ligation, thermal uterine balloon therapy and more.
- General Surgery, offering a wide range of surgery, from appendectomies, tonsillectomies and hernia repairs to laparoscopic surgical procedures including cholecystectomies, laparoscopic splenectomies and laparoscopic bowel resections.
- Laser surgery, using special light beams to perform urological, gynecological, ophthalmic, dermatological and other procedure.
- Neurosurgery, offering brain, spine and peripheral nerve surgery, minimally invasive surgery, pain therapies and more.
- Ophthalmic surgery, to remove cataracts, treat retinal diseases and perform corneal surgery and laser vision correction.
- Oral-maxillofacial surgery, treating deformities of the mouth, jaw, neck and teeth; we focus on fractures to the facial skeleton, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction, surgical excision of teeth and more.
- Orthopedic surgery, including treatment for all types of orthopedic diagnoses, from sports-related injuries to spinal disorders and joint replacement.
- Pediatric surgery, providing expert inpatient and outpatient surgical care and procedures for even our smallest patients.
- Plastic surgery, including reconstructive surgeries, breast augmentation, face lifts, nasal reconstruction, dermabrasion, cleft palate repairs and more.
- Podiatric surgery, often offered for complex fracture care and reconstructive surgery related to trauma, arthritis or deformity.
- Thoracic surgery, treating a variety of disorders of the lung, airway and esophagus with procedures such as bronchoscopy, pneumonectomy, esophageal surgery and more.
- Urologic surgery, including prostate surgery, kidney surgery, common bile duct explorations and more.
- Vascular surgery, treating problems in the veins and arteries.
Our Local Ambulatory Room and day surgery program allow you to have minor surgical services performed during the day, so you can return home the same day.
Not sure what to expect for day surgery? Watch our video. It will walk you through the process of having day surgery at MetroWest Medical Center. We'll show you where to go, who you'll meet and everything you need to know!
Before Your Surgery
Before an elective surgery at MetroWest Medical Center, you’ll have an appointment with our Pre-Admission Testing Department. Depending on your health history and the procedure, this may be able to be done over the phone.
During this appointment, you will be assessed by a nurse and will also go over pre- and postoperative care information relevant to your upcoming procedure. You may also meet with a representative from the Anesthesiology Department during this appointment. If additional testing (such as blood tests, electrocardiogram or X-rays) is required, it will be done at this time.
If you complete this appointment over the phone, you can also arrange to speak to an Anesthesiology representative. On the day of your procedure, you’ll still receive a complete pre-operative evaluation from an anesthesiologist.
Please set aside two hours for your Pre-Admission Testing visit. Telephone appointments should take 30 minutes.
If you’d like more information about the surgical department at MetroWest Medical Center, or want to learn more about the surgical procedures we offer or have other questions, please call us in Framingham at (508) 383-1280 or in Natick at (508) 650-7135.