Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
Would you like to have weeknight dinner ready when everyone arrives home? We’ve got you covered with a flavorful slow cooker chicken stew. Protein and veggies in one pot – just add a salad or a few spears of broccoli and you’re done! Taking the stress off making dinner is probably good for your heart, too.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pound boneless/ skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 medium white onion, sliced in rings
- 1 lb potatoes (Yukon gold or red) leave skin on, slice in 1/4 inch round slices
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth (may sub 1/4 cup broth with 1/4 cup cooking white wine)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt-free garlic and herb seasoning
- Nonstick cooking spray
1. Spray bottom of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange carrots, onion slices and potato slices on the bottom of slow cooker.
2. Add chicken broth, garlic, 1/2 tsp black pepper, salt and bay leaf to slow cooker.
3. Season thighs with 1/2 tsp black pepper and salt-free seasoning.
4. Place thighs on top of vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 4 hours, or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 192; Total Fat 4 gm; Total Carbs 19 gm; Sugars 5 gm; Fiber 3.2 gm; Protein 22 gm; Sodium 166 mg